Saturday, May 17, 2008

Improvement! ~happy~

Today is alumni band practice! yesh.

I think it was really not bad. I think for a 3rd time, it was seriously good but if I were to use normal strict standard to do QC, it was seriously NOT BAD.

The band although lacking on clarinets, percussion and horn for today. The band actually sounded quite nice! Quite unbelievable but true. If you don't believe, you can go ask any alumni band members today. Seriously today it was not bad and rather fun. I don't know how to say it but it is just so fun to play in a band where you need very little time in clearing up normal stuffs that members need to clear up during sectional. You will need a more discipline band to do all these. I have a lot of fun, I guess a lot of alumni members think so too!

Finally today I have 3 trumpets! yeah! Although that stupid horn was like only 1 person but ok...

1 o'clock - the start of sectional! we have sectional all the way until 230 like that. Everyone doing their sectional, except for trumpet which slack quite a bit. Wai Yip and I were like discussing on how to settle the conga part. ANYWAY, WAI YIP SHOULD PLAY THAT CONGA PART! TOTALLY PERFECT FOR U!

Today our concert master not there.. so the band tuning was done by mr adrian chiang... haha...

We started off with the march... it was RUBBISH for me.. cause i played snare drum.. totally off for 1st 2 times.. ahahaha.. it was geting better after that. MY PART IS CRASH so snare drum is like.. a sudden thing cause sean kwek never come today. It was like a warm up song for the band. Everything is ok ok except for the F part where percussion is totally resting, The trombones and tubas aren't playing together yet. There are quite a number of problems and also settled quite a few. March segment passed quite fast. I should say we only worked abit on it.

Next song was "cry!!" hahaha.. of coz EVERYONE or I should say those have running CRY like mad! hahaha. At least got work on the whole band on those running notes. of course, some are still struggling but you already can hear the difference since last week! Quite a bit of improvement le. really good. I like improvement! (^^). I think this song is so nice. Running notes are good challenge for ALL! So work hard ba!! ^^. I just take note that my timpani is rolling all the way without much phrasing and shaping. I asked mr chiang to draw out the things he wants me to do for the whole of last part. Totally, I was like.. rolling straight in FF for that piece. I think abit rubbish... no shape no phrasing. The score never even write a single thing!! There only some dynamics at certain measures but the rest was like empty?? All I know is I need to keep on changing notes!! Change non stop on one drum. Lucky not as bad as cappa. haha. The solos of this piece is very nice. Today's was not bad (especially flute solo)and for the rest I still think previous time was nicer. Even though I think the rest were rather ok but it just doesn't has the feel, the emotion. This is so sad.

Next song was the "knight", I guess the knight was a good knight! We sounded rather not bad in Knight! Especially with Wai Yip conga part! It was really good! Have that feel! The band was like cheering for the conga part! Nobody has heard it played till that way until today! It was not according to the score, ad lib and has alot of things that need to touch up BUT those are small thing!! The most perfect thing was Wai Yip played out that feel, it was totally good! The feel, the rhythm, it was good! Seriously, it was really good! Then we started to work from the top slowly down. Did quite abit of things, the whole band sounded together and really was nice. I don't know how should I phrase it. At some moments, I have the competition feel. It sounded very good in some bars, really good. The whole song really did quite well, everyone thought so. The best we have played so far. The sad thing is the 1st solo, where there is supposed to have a piccolo solo. It was EMPTY today! What a pity if not it will be even nicer and better. Just hope to be able to hear it in FULL version soon enough!

We skipped "Hymn" today, so it was good to certain extent, totally relax and take a break from that song. Continuous listening of that song will just minimize our interest in that song. So it is good to take a break!

Practice didn't end here. We sight read a song brought by mr chiang. When the saint goes marching in. haha. It is a difficult version. I think it was not a bad arrangement but alot of ppl think it was not nice and too long. haha. This is the first time I heard of that song and I think it has a lot of good things about it.

Then everything ended. haha..

It was a good practice. I thought it was not bad. Although still need to do a lot of stuffs to perfect our own part BUT I guess if everyone can be as discipline and hardworking. All these are possible. I am very very sure mssba is seriously a band that can make alot of difference. I trust this band. I believe in this band.

---

It was totally a different playing feeling in Alumni and in band X. Still both bands all the people are nice but standard of playing wise, there is still much to work on.

---

That's all I want to blog today.

No comments: